Pan-Fried Cabbage

February 9th, 2009 by megan · 9 Comments

This is sort of a quick, warm sauerkraut but with pork. And chilies. The vinegar adds a bit of tang, the pork a bit of salt and savory, the chilies a bit of heat. I recommend using a Japanese mandoline/slicer, or a regular mandoline, to slice the cabbage and the shallot or onion. You could cut them by hand, but the cabbage cooks much more quickly when sliced very, very thin – easy to do on a Japanese mandoline.

Pan-Fried Cabbage

Pan-Fried Cabbage

1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup prosciutto, shredded with your fingers
1/2 small onion, or 2 shallots, very thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)
1/2 head small green cabbage, cored and outer leaves discarded, very thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
1-2 Thai chilies (or 1 Serrano chili), thinly sliced
Pinch sugar
1 tablespoon vinegar (I used Champagne vinegar)
3 tablespoons water or chicken stock
Salt and freshly ground pepper

1. In a large saute pan, add the butter, olive oil, onion or shallot, and prosciutto. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until the onion or shallot is lightly browned, and the prosciutto starts to render its fat.
  2. Add the cabbage, the chilies, a pinch of sugar, a pinch of salt, and a grinding of black pepper. Cook and stir until the cabbage has started to lightly brown in places.
  3. Add the vinegar, and cook until it has evaporated.
  4. Add the water or stock, and cook until it has evaporated.
  5. At this point, the cabbage should be cooked through and tender. The amount of liquid you add will depend on how thinly you sliced the cabbage. You may need to add additional water or stock if your cabbage is cut thickly.
  6. Taste and correct for salt. Serve hot.

Joan Nova Feb 9, 2009 at 6:14 pm

I starting to get a new found appreciation of cabbage — and this looks very good especially with the addition of the ham and chili pepper.

The Duo Dishes Feb 9, 2009 at 7:03 pm

Proscuitto makes us happy. Very happy!

katie Feb 9, 2009 at 7:57 pm

YUM. I love this kind of stuff. Minus the prociutto it is very recession friendly. I could envision this with a bit of sauerkraut in a pierogi. I love the crunch of cabbage. Under-rated my friend.

megan Feb 9, 2009 at 8:00 pm

I was just thinking about poor little cabbage and how un-sexy it is…that’s why I tarted it up a bit with some prosciutto! But bacon would be just as good and lots cheaper. Or no pork. (I guess.) Mmmmmm pierogis!

gastroanthropologist Feb 10, 2009 at 4:28 am

With cabbage being the vegetable of choice in my CSA I need as many new cabbage recipes I can get. Cabbage soup is not doing it for me anymore (or ever!). Like how you put chilies in this recipe.

Erik S Feb 11, 2009 at 3:28 pm

Do you think using peanut oil would work well? I would like to try this recipe, but using an wok instead.

megan Feb 11, 2009 at 3:37 pm

Yeah, I think peanut oil would be good – cooking this in a wok would be yum, you’ll get some good carmelization I’m sure! you’d probably need to eliminate the butter entirely (to avoid burning) and I’d keep a good eye on the prosciutto in a wok, as well.

Destin Joy Layne Feb 13, 2009 at 9:40 am

what a wonderful recipe! i love cabbage, and happen to have some bacon at home. perfect dish, thanks again love!

Kevin Mar 3, 2009 at 9:35 pm

This sounds like a nice way to enjoy some cabbage!