Homemade Candied Ginger, Ginger Syrup, and Ginger Ale

March 25th, 2009 by megan · 48 Comments

Homemade Candied Ginger

Homemade Candied Ginger

A trifecta of ginger deliciousness! Actually, the candied ginger is a byproduct of the ginger syrup (or is ginger syrup the byproduct of candied ginger??): you can’t create one without the other.  I had a bit of a hankering for homemade ginger ale, because it’s so much spicier than store bought and I felt like something a little tingly. Oh, but I can think of so many other ways to use ginger syrup…on pancakes, in cocktails, in ice cream…and, of course, candied ginger is good in lots of baked goods (scones? cookies? muffins?) and as a sweet nibble.

Slice your ginger into very, very thin disks if you want a more chewy candied ginger. Because I was looking for a more al dente candied ginger, like the kind you find packaged in grocery stores, I chopped my ginger into small-ish (about 1/2-inch) squares. Just note that it will take quite a bit longer to soften ginger cut into chunks than ginger sliced into thin disks. If you can find young ginger, which has a much thinner skin and is often a bit pink in color, definitely use it instead of regular (read: old) ginger. Older ginger, like the kind I used, tends to be more fibrous, so you won’t have the creamier interior consistency that you will get if you can get your hands on young ginger.

Homemade Ginger Ale

Homemade Ginger Ale

For the Candied Ginger and Ginger Syrup:

1/2 pound ginger (8 oz.), about 2 large knobs, peeled
2 cups granulated sugar, plus 1/4 cup extra for coating the ginger pieces
2 cups water

For the Ginger Ale:

Seltzer or sparkling water
Ginger syrup (recipe above)
Lime slices (optional)

1. Slice or chop the ginger (as discussed above).
  2. In a medium heavy saucepan, combine the sugar and the water over medium heat, stirring until the sugar is mostly dissolved. Add the ginger pieces.
  3. Simmer over medium heat for 1 hour if you’ve sliced your ginger very thin, and at least twice that if you’ve cut your ginger into larger chunks. (Check on them occasionally to make sure they aren’t drying out and that the water isn’t evaporating too quickly.)
  4. Meanwhile, line a small sheet pan with wax or parchment paper, or with tinfoil. Spread the remaining 1/4 cup sugar on the lined sheet pan.
  5. When the ginger is done (it will be soft), remove with a slotted spoon to the prepared sheet pan. Toss the ginger pieces in the sugar and spread them out. Let dry for several hours, or overnight. Let the ginger syrup cool, then refrigerate. If you want a thicker ginger syrup, continue to cook over medium-low heat until it reaches the consistency you want.
  6. To make homemade ginger ale: add 3-4 generous tablespoons (or more, to taste) of ginger syrup to a large pint glass. Top with seltzer or other sparkling water. (I also like to add a bit of lime. Uh, and a bit of rum.) Garnish with candied ginger, if desired.

Makes about 1 1/2 cups ginger syrup and approximately a cup of candied ginger.

Natasha - 5 Star Foodie Mar 25, 2009 at 11:17 pm

Three wonderful ginger creations! I love your picture of ginger ale!

Marc @ NoRecipes Mar 26, 2009 at 12:19 am

Oooo sounds good. I’m not huge on ginger in sweet things, but I love ginger ale. I bet this would be good with some dark rum too, kind of like a dark and stormy.

nina Mar 26, 2009 at 1:44 am

As a child I hated the taste of ginger, but as I am getting older I find that I am using it more and more….ginger ale is a staple in our fridge in summer!!!

anna Mar 26, 2009 at 9:09 am

Oh, awesome! I made some candied ginger a couple months ago but it was very thin and hard and, while tasty, I’d rather it were soft and chewy. I’ll definitely be trying this soon, especially because I’m out of ginger syrup. I used it up making a tofu glaze (which I’m still working on but it’s a great savory application for flavored syrups).

katiek Mar 26, 2009 at 12:32 pm

I love sticking crystallized ginger in cookies and quick breads. The other day I went to a japanse restaurant where they pickled what look like a very long stalk or root of pink ginger. Not sure what that kind is, but you should pickle some ginger to add it to your vault!

Yeah!

libby Mar 26, 2009 at 2:43 pm

i’m in awe. love it.

sara Mar 26, 2009 at 2:53 pm

I love ginger ale and home made ginger ale sounds amazing…with home made candy as the bonus.

nithya at hungrydesi Mar 26, 2009 at 7:21 pm

I love spicy ginger ale and ginger candy…oh and ginger ice cream…really all things ginger. Great post!

The Duo Dishes Mar 26, 2009 at 7:51 pm

What a great party favor or drink. This is genius.

Daily Spud Mar 26, 2009 at 7:56 pm

Homemade ginger ale? You made homemade ginger ale? I’ll be right over! :)

Michael Mar 26, 2009 at 9:46 pm

I’ve never seen “young” ginger. Where do you think you can find it?

megan Mar 27, 2009 at 8:42 am

we totally made ginger cocktails last night: a tablespoon or two of ginger syrup muddled with 1/2 lime and a shot of rum, topped off with homemade seltzer (yes, we make our own around here, it’s more bubbly) – YUM.

You can find young ginger in a lot of Asian markets, actually. Sometimes we have it at our local food co-op, so I’d imagine the bigger grocery chains may carry it from time to time. Here’s a good pic and more info from from Chez Pim:

Rosa Mar 27, 2009 at 11:11 am

I love ginger and, especially, candied ginger! Fantastic creations!

Cheers,

Rosa

abby @ mangerlaville Mar 27, 2009 at 11:18 am

I have wanted to know how to make candied ginger (and its by-products) for so long. I am ginger addict. And it is so good for digestion. I can’t wait to make my own and start nibbling.

Ulla Mar 27, 2009 at 12:01 pm

That looks so wonderful! The perfect spring drink!

Eat It Brooklyn Mar 27, 2009 at 1:08 pm

Oh, this all looks amazing! I love Ginger Martinis too (a la Brooklyn Social Club, but can be easily made at home). Thanks for the tips!

shiv Mar 27, 2009 at 7:23 pm

oooooh, delightful! i’m a certified sucker for this stuff; thanks for the recipe!

finsmom Mar 28, 2009 at 5:00 pm

SOOOO COOL! I cant wait to try making this :)

Kimmer Mar 28, 2009 at 9:39 pm

It’s simmering right now. I can’t wait!

gastroanthropology Mar 29, 2009 at 8:41 am

Oh, that looks so good. I love ginger ale, but often find it to be too sweet and not “gingery” enough. This way I can adjust it how I like it. Any tips on ginger beer?

Kevin Mar 30, 2009 at 10:05 am

I like the sound of making your own candied ginger.

KyotoFoodie@Peko Apr 1, 2009 at 7:46 am

Oh, this is a great article. I just made candied peel with yuzu and also this unique citrus from southern Japan called hyuganatsu. It didn’t quite work, but came pretty close. There was some syrup left over, quite sweet. I can make some ‘ale’ with it. Great idea!

megan Apr 1, 2009 at 10:54 am

mmm candied yuzu peel sounds delicious. I wish fresh yuzu weren’t so expensive around here…

KyotoFoodie@Peko Apr 3, 2009 at 1:43 am

Yes, I have heard that yuzu is very expensive abroad. We made yuzushu out of just 7 beautiful yuzu, then after they had steeped made marmalade and candied peel. So, we got a lot of mileage out of our yuzu!

Hopefully producers will start growing more yuzu in the US.

Syrupy Goodness « Informal Blathering Apr 16, 2009 at 2:21 pm

[...] the first time I made candied ginger I used Alton Brown’s method, I’ve used this one since, because it actually results in a ginger syrup as opposed to a ginger water that needs sugar [...]

Iron Cupcake Earth: Soda « verysmallanna.com Apr 26, 2009 at 3:49 pm

[...] make some candied ginger. Reserve the syrup and sugar. Pour syrup into jars, seal and refrigerate for later use. Allow the [...]

Syrupy Goodness « verysmallanna.com Apr 26, 2009 at 3:51 pm

ella Apr 30, 2009 at 1:30 pm

I just made this last night while my mom was having a work meeting in the house- her coworked were practically drooling as the sweet and spicy smell drifted into the living room! mine seems to be taking a while to dry though, any tips on HOW dry it should be?

megan Apr 30, 2009 at 3:14 pm

Ella – it’s really up to you how dry you want the candied ginger. The longer you leave them out, uncovered, the dryer they’ll be. I personally like them a little “juicer”. If it’s a really humid or hot (or hot + humid) day, it may take longer to dry. Rolling them well in the granulated sugar will also help to dry them out. Good luck!!

meg Aug 22, 2009 at 4:58 pm

i’m mafde this today. it turned out great. the ginger syrup is really good for a dark and stormy.

Cherry Dec 4, 2009 at 1:10 pm

I love ginger and I don’t know why?? Crazy about gingerbread! I experiment all the time with different recipes. I am making this candied ginger today and will feel rich and spoiled! Ha! Thanks for all your sweet posts-so encouraging. Happy Gingering to You All!

Alicia Dec 24, 2009 at 10:27 am

I just made the candied ginger as part of a few holiday gifts. In addition to giving both the syrup and the candied ginger I made ginger-infused vodka. I decanted the infused vodka into some pretty bottles and added labels with instructions to make both a ginger cosmo and the recipe above for using the ginger syrup to make a rum cocktail. The candied ginger can serve as garnishes for both drinks.

I had a hard time getting the candied ginger to dry, as well. I just put the ginger on a baking sheet in a 200 degree oven for about half an hour. Once they cooled they were perfect.

Lauren Mar 5, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Could you use half Truvia and Half white sugar (like Sun Crystal packets) or even just the Truvia (sugar substitute that make SUCRALOSE SOUR and ASPARTAME COWER!) Trying to make it more diet friendly as I LOVE GINGER!!

Susan May 8, 2011 at 10:53 pm

I made this for mom’s day and I’m in love! I’ve never made a syrup like this before. When I placed it in the fridge, sugar crystals formed. Do you think this is safe to store at room temp, like honey? Maybe I just got it too thick. The flavor is eye-rollingly divine!

Homemade Ginger Syrup for ginger ale — Joy the Baker Jun 24, 2011 at 1:56 am

[...] This site tells you that you can make candied ginger from the cooked ginger.  Check it out! [...]

What happens if you a girl some ginger? « Raisin Questions Jun 29, 2011 at 4:14 pm

[...] Simple Syrup and Candied Ginger adapted from One Perfect Bite and Brooklyn Farmhouse 1 large knob ginger, about 6 inches 1 cup sugar, plus 1/4 cup 2 cups [...]

Hot Ginger Toddy. « Jul 3, 2011 at 2:12 am

[...] Nigel Slater. Ginger syrup ::: from Imbibe Magazine ::: via Joy the Baker. Candied Ginger ::: from Brooklyn Farmhouse ::: also via Joy the Baker. Joy the Baker totally rocks, in case you hadn’t figured. Follow [...]

Gren Jul 19, 2011 at 4:10 am

I realize this page has been up for a while, but I have a question I hope someone can answer. A recipe I have for ginger syrup calls for it to be pulverized in a food processor before making the syrup. I was wondering if a sort of candied ginger can be made from this? If I try it myself, I will post the results.

Ginger head Oct 18, 2011 at 11:23 pm

I have always loved the taste of ginger… gingerbread (cake and men), ginger ale, gingeroos with the small tasty chunks of crystallized ginger (cookies ala Trader Joes), ginger beer (Jamaican style), crystallized ginger, and ginger syrup. I once named a puppy born to my Angel, Ginger. *sigh*

In Praise of Ginger « magic in the kitchen Nov 21, 2011 at 11:39 pm

[...] And if you’ve had an El Diablo from Weather Up, and love it as much as I do, you might be inspired to make your own at home… in which case, you’ll need this [...]

You too can boil apples « Nuts to Soup Dec 4, 2011 at 4:38 pm

[...] Ginger syrup – Made a half of the recipe found here. [...]

johnny Mar 13, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Love it! Yes!

Ginger Syrup « CraftyBakeOven May 5, 2012 at 7:15 am

[...] I like to mix this in Pelligrino Limonata to make Ginger Lemonade. I highly suggest this combo. Here is the recipe I used. AND you can candy the ginger bits after to use later! Share [...]

Robin Jun 1, 2012 at 8:22 am

For those of you looking for the young ginger, ginger is the easiest plant ever to grow! You can even grow it in a garden pot and it keeps replenishing itself. I personally like to buy the smaller variety of roots, they stay smaller, less fiber.

East Branch Ginger Sep 16, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Lots of small US farmers and market gardeners are growing young or baby ginger… locally! Check out your local farmers market for a farmer that might grow it! If there is not one there selling it, ask someone there if they would like to grow it next season. Baby ginger is available during the months of late August through September and October. Thank you for the great candied ginger and ginger ale recipes!

It’s Fall Y’all: Ginger « homemadeadventure Oct 21, 2012 at 6:22 pm

[...] but it is expensive and very sugary. I set out to make my own and, thanks to Pinterest, found this great recipe and tutorial. The cashier at my grocery store looked at me funny when I walked away with a rather [...]

Ginger Ale (from scratch) « NonasEyes Oct 21, 2012 at 10:26 pm

[...] Ginger Ale [...]

Rosy Recipes Dec 28, 2012 at 8:44 pm

You can also use artificial sugar for people that are diabetic and what i love abut this recipe, It’s a 3 for 1 recipe, love it all.
Rosy R.