Rhubarb Mojito

April 17th, 2009 by megan · 31 Comments

Rhubarb Mojito

Rhubarb Mojito

It’s Spring! Rhubarb is here! Yay Rhubarb!

OK, sorry. Did I mention I love rhubarb? And have you ever noticed what a weird word “rhubarb” is?

After a day of rhubarb experimentation in my kitchen that resulted in rhubarb pudding (my husband: “tastes like baby food”), I decided to drown my culinary sorrows with these rhubarb mojitos. (My friend Jessie once made me a rhubarb cocktail and I’ve never forgotten it, so she’s really the inspiration for this drink, rhubarb cooking disasters aside.) I use the word “mojito” loosely – really, what I’m referring to is a sweet-tart cocktail with rum and mint. Mojito-esque. Use the strained, stewed rhubarb itself to top vanilla ice cream. Or make yourself some rhubarb ice cream! (Rhubarb pudding, not so good.) A grating of orange peel or the addition of a vanilla bean along with the stewing water would not be entirely out of place, even in a mojito-like cocktail. (Actually, that flavor combination would be really delicious with bourbon or whiskey – rhubarb whiskey sour?)

For the Rhubarb Syrup:

3 pounds rhubarb, sliced thin
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups water

For each Rhubarb Mojito:

4 tablespoons rhubarb syrup
1 ounce white rum
5-6 large mint leaves, torn
Seltzer or club soda
Ice
Lime for garnish (you can’t eat rhubarb raw, otherwise it would make an interesting garnish)

For the Rhubarb Syrup:

1. In a medium, heavy pot, combine the rhubarb, light brown sugar, granulated sugar, and water. Bring to a brief boil, then turn down the heat to medium-low and simmer until the rhubarb is soft.
  2. Strain the fruit (actually, I think it’s a vegetable) and set aside for another use.  You should be left with a runny, not-yet-syrupy liquid.
  3. Clean the pot and add the strained liquid. Boil over medium high heat until reduced to a thick syrup. Cool completely.

For the Rhubarb Mojito:

1. Add rhubarb syrup and mint to each glass (I used a small highball-type glass). Add 1 ounce of white rum. Stir to mix.
  2. Top with seltzer or club soda, add ice, and top with a wedge of lime for garnish.
  3. Drink.

Ana Apr 18, 2009 at 12:20 am

Oooh that sounds amazing! I love rhubarb and I’ll have to try this.

Been a bit of a lurker but I had to chime in and say that you can, in fact, eat rhubarb raw. I remember many a spring as a child pulling it up from the ground, licking it and dipping it in sugar like a natural “Fun Dip” and then munching away on the sweet, tart stalk.

Granted it can be a bit stringy – like celery with extra special tendons, but still…

nina Apr 18, 2009 at 1:20 am

I must say that I do not like rhubarb, but I am tempted looking at this!!!!

Daily Spud Apr 18, 2009 at 5:22 am

Yay for rhubarb indeed and as for a rhubarb mojito, I just gotta try that!

Melynda Apr 18, 2009 at 7:29 am

Good another rhubarb lover! I will be checking back for recipes.

megan Apr 18, 2009 at 9:24 am

Hmm interesting, Ana! Thanks for the tip! I always thought it would make you a bit sick to eat it raw, but I might just be getting it mixed up with the fact that you can’t eat the leaves.

gastroanthropologist Apr 18, 2009 at 4:09 pm

this sounds so good! I love mojitos (I hate blended drinks, love cocktails served on the rocks) and rhubarb. I always love the combinations of flavors you use!

Mrs. T. Apr 18, 2009 at 5:18 pm

That looks so GOOD!!!! Will make for sure!

Marc @ NoRecipes Apr 18, 2009 at 8:40 pm

Where did you find rhubarb? I’ve been looking all over for it. Wanted to make a rhubarb relish the other day. Love the idea of putting it in a Mojito.

katiek @ kitchensidecar Apr 18, 2009 at 10:01 pm

sweet… I love the fruit exotic in drinks. the unknown tart.

I recently made tamarind margaritas with fresh pods and tequila. superb.

sivan harlap Apr 19, 2009 at 8:27 am

this sounds/looks awesome! next time i see rhubarb at the greenmarket im gonna make this syrup and take it to bside for a very special happy hour!!

megan Apr 19, 2009 at 9:40 am

Ooh rhubarb relish sounds good. Rhubarb chutney? Yum. And tamarind margaritas sound amazing, too. I had one recently at this place called Hecho en Dumbo that was awesome – they coat the rim with chile salt! I got the rhubarb at my food co-op. Sivan, I want to stop by bside sooooon for your cocktail night! Miss you guys.

Natasha - 5 Star Foodie Apr 19, 2009 at 2:26 pm

I love the idea of rhubarb mojito! I will definitely try it! I have some rhubarb in my fridge right now!

lisaiscooking Apr 19, 2009 at 5:34 pm

The mojito sounds great, and so does a rhubarb whiskey sour!

Sara Apr 19, 2009 at 7:51 pm

This looks fantastic!

The Duo Dishes Apr 20, 2009 at 11:56 am

Yes to mojitos!!!

Michael Apr 20, 2009 at 2:54 pm

Great drink idea. I think that a rhubarb syrup would probably be great in all kinds of cocktails.

Jude Apr 21, 2009 at 12:56 am

Just saw that peculiar shade of red at the markets today. Can’t wait to get my hands on a bunch!

Kasey Apr 21, 2009 at 11:28 am

I’ve been starting to see rhubarb at the markets and I’m always wondering how to make use of it. This sounds like a great twist on my favorite drink, esp. with this heat wave we’re having in San Francisco.

Noelle May 1, 2009 at 5:40 pm

Oh YUMMY! I love Rhubarb, and have since I was a kid, so I’ll have to mention this to one of my bars here in LA. Thanks.

Stacy May 22, 2009 at 11:14 am

Who says you can’t eat rhubarb raw? I did it all the time as a kid, and from the blog posts where people write about their childhood memories of eating rhubarb, I was not alone.

It is the LEAVES that you cannot eat, raw or cooked.

megan May 22, 2009 at 12:21 pm

Thank you, Stacy, for your passionate comment. I figured out my mistake back when Ana commented (#1) and have since been eating rhubarb raw.

Stacy May 22, 2009 at 3:29 pm

Oh good. :) Eating a stalk of rhubarb dipped in sugar is one of the great pleasures everyone should experience.

And I apologize if my first comment came off as harsh. If I had been thinking, I would have punctuated it with a few smileys to show my comment was good natured. :)

Amelia of Gradually Greener Jun 2, 2009 at 2:45 pm

Oh wow, that looks great. I just wrote a post about rhubarb syrup and was thinking a rhubarb mojito might be good, but now there’s photographic evidence. And I like your idea of a rhubarb whiskey sour, too!

megan Jun 2, 2009 at 3:00 pm

Oh I think there is no end to what can be done with rhubarb syrup! And I candied some rhubarb the other day to go on top of a rhubarb cake, but would be a great garnish with a rhubarb whiskey sour!

Jen Jun 12, 2009 at 4:28 pm

I have a bag of rhubarb in my crisper than I’ve been debating what to do with. Stewed rhubarb for my yogurt and a rhubarb syrup for my cocktails. Genius!

Lisa in Seattle Jul 8, 2009 at 2:57 pm

It turned out really good! I used Parrot Bay’s Key Lime Rum instead of plain rum – EXCELLENT!!! Thanks for the simple and easy to follow recipe!

Anissa Mar 23, 2010 at 12:15 pm

I will definitely try this.

Think Pink! Roasted Rhubarb | LondonEats Feb 27, 2011 at 3:02 pm

[...] Like magic, the sugar has vanished, the colour is superb and you have a little bit of rich syrup at the bottom of the dish. Perfect to add to muesli, on ice-cream or to fill a rhubarb tart. All this, and you preserve the bright Barbie-pink colour, which might – might – even get kids to eat the stuff. Can’t be bad? And if you’re feeling fancy, use some of that syrup to make a Spring cocktail. [...]

Let’s party! Rhubarb Mojitos | BetsyLife Apr 1, 2011 at 9:02 am

[...] Rhubarb Mojitos recipe from Brooklyn Farmhouse [...]

» Rhubarb Cooler Reviving Cookery Jun 3, 2011 at 6:14 pm

[...] You can store the syrup in a clean jar in the fridge.  Did someone say Rhubarb Mojitos? [...]

Hanne in Copenhagen Jun 8, 2011 at 7:36 pm

I have experiented a little with rhubarb syrup lately and settled on this composition:
1 part rhubarb syrup
1 part fresh lemon juice
2 parts vodka
2 parts soda
mint leaf
If your rhubarb syrup is very sweet, add more vodka ;-)