Corn Shoots with Bacon and White Miso Butter

April 21st, 2009 by megan · 13 Comments

Corn Shoots with White Miso Butter and Bacon

Corn Shoots with Bacon and White Miso Butter

This is a riff off of David Chang’s corn with bacon and miso butter recipe from Gourmet, which happens to be one of the best corn recipes ever. Sadly, corn isn’t in season yet. So, as a way around the lack of springtime corn, I found these amazing little corn shoots at the farmer’s market that the farmer’s sign said had been sprouted from popcorn (wheels are turning, I know – can I do this at home??). They are super sweet and a bit bitter all at once. And they taste like corn! (Shocker!)

The miso butter is delicious on lots of other vegetables – peas, favas, grilled or roasted asparagus, potatoes…actually, so is bacon, now that I think about it.

1 tablespoon white miso paste
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
4 slices bacon, chopped vertically into thin batons
1 jalapeno, chopped fine (seeds and ribs removed if you don’t like spicy)
2 green onions (white and green parts), sliced thin
1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped fine
2 cups corn shoots, roughly chopped
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper.

1. In a small bowl, combine the white miso paste and the butter until well blended. Set aside.
  2. Add the chopped bacon to a medium, heavy saute pan. Cook over medium heat until the bacon is crispy and has rendered most of its fat.
  3. Turn the heat up to medium-high. Add the chopped jalapeno, and cook and stir for 1-2 minutes, until the jalapeno pieces have just started to soften.
  4. Add the green onion slices and the garlic, and cook and stir for 1-2 minutes more.
  5. Add the corn shoots, and cook and stir for 1 minute more.
  6. Add the miso butter and a grinding of black pepper, and toss to coat. Taste and correct for salt.
  7. Serve immediately.

Serves 2-3 as a side.

The Duo Dishes Apr 21, 2009 at 6:01 pm

The miso butter is by far so interesting. Never thought to combine the two. Of course corn and bacon make a lovely pair.

katiek @ kitchensidecar Apr 21, 2009 at 6:10 pm

I can’t wait to try this out! Butter + soy products is a phenomenal combination. Steak with soy sauce butter… yum.

I have never tried corn shoots and am excited to see that they actually taste like corn! I am a bit dubious of the bacon, but David Chang is a master and I trust his recommendations.

I made his chicken claypot and his pork belly buns (!!!)

Both of which have become instant hits. Looks so good. Definitely trying.

Natasha - 5 Star Foodie Apr 21, 2009 at 8:08 pm

Wow, I haven’t seen these corn shoots – how neat! I love the white miso butter recipe!

nina Apr 22, 2009 at 1:55 am

I am sure as hell going to try my hand at making those corn shoots…..they are too beautiful for a salad!! Great flavors!!!

Jenni Apr 22, 2009 at 11:47 am

And to think, if you hadn’t run across that particular stall at the farmers’ market, this dish would’ve never been born. It sounds absolutely springy and delightful! I bet that kick of jalapeno puts it 0ver the top:)

megan Apr 22, 2009 at 12:05 pm

I know – so much inspiration at the farmer’s market in Spring!

Daily Spud Apr 23, 2009 at 10:59 am

Hmm, miso paste + butter sounds like a great combination and I’ve never come across corn shoots but they sound like I’d like them!

Ulla Apr 28, 2009 at 9:36 pm

That looks so good!

Jude Apr 29, 2009 at 11:49 pm

David Chang have recipes on Gourmet? How did I miss this? Also, good thing the miso butter ratio is so easy to remember :)

megan May 4, 2009 at 2:07 pm

David Chang is coming out w/a Momofuku cookbook! Just read about it @SeriousEats!

libby Jun 1, 2009 at 1:30 pm

did you ever find out if you can sprout these at home?

megan Jun 2, 2009 at 1:54 pm

I think you can sprout them from popcorn just like you’d sprout any other kind of sprout (i.e., alfalfa, etc.). At least that’s what I imagined from the sign at the farmer’s market!

Norine May 14, 2010 at 10:25 pm

Can you use the early sprouts of regular yellow or white corn?